Scrip’s second Quintiles-sponsored roundtable event, 'New challenges for the pharma industry in working with payers', was held at The RSA House, London on 4 November 2010.
Six industry experts, representing big pharma, the CRO sector, HTA bodies and health economists, debated the growing influence of payers across the world's major pharmaceutical markets.
The debate was chaired by Scrip's world editor Elizabeth Sukkar.
Our panel comprised the following experts:
- Cas Wiebinga, associate director, consulting at Quintiles
- Newton F Crenshaw, vice-president, global business-to-payer, bio-medicines & corporate affairs, Lilly
- Andreas Fibig, chairman of the board of management of Bayer Schering Pharma AG
- Dr Bruno Strigini, president of Europe/Canada for the global human health business, Merck & Co
- Dr Carole Longson, Health Technology Evaluation Centre Director, NICE
- Jon Sussex, deputy director, Office of Health Economics (OHE)
The panel debated a wide range of issues, including different payer strategies, how best to assess the cost-effectiveness of drugs, value-based pricing, risk-sharing and patient access schemes, and the potential for harmonised approaches across European markets.